.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, November 13, 2009

 

book report: The House of Hope and Fear

The House of Hope and Fear: Life in a Big City Hospital
by Audrey Young


I loved this book and read it in a few hours becuase I was so fascinated. I work at the hospital that Dr. Young describes with honesty and affection. In her stories about patients, doctors, families, and aspects of society, the reader gets a view inside a public hospital and the people who work and are treated there.

There are two reasons why I would recommended you read this book: First, it would help you understand why I choose to work at the county hospital and why I am so proud of the work I do. The other reason is more political: reading about the patients who end up at the county hospital seeking primary care - the homeless, the addicted, the mentally ill, the underinsured, the unemployed, the desparate - is the best argument I can think of for universal health care.

Just one fact pulled from the book: the United States spends more than twice as much on health care than any other country, and yet our health outcome and life expectancy statistics are nowhere near the best in the world.

Labels: ,


Comments:
I'm glad you enjoyed the book! Best wishes in your career -- thank you for advocating for the medically vulnerable.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?