.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

 

not the newest

I started this entry back in October... but it's still relevant to me so I'm posting it anyway.

****************************
You know what's funny? I precepted a newer-than-me nurse this weekend. And it went really well. I think that was partly because the new nurse is EXCELLENT. She was a nurse tech at Big County Hospital for the last year, so she is already very familiar with the work environment. Partly it was because I am so recently finished with orientation that I remember it keenly, and have lots of opinions about what makes for good vs. bad experiences. At the end of the first day together, she thanked me for helping her have a good day... which made me feel great.

Otherwise, I'm doing all right. I've been in kind of a funk at work lately - I think I'm reaching the point where I need to shake up my expectations for myself. Right now, I feel like I do a decent job with basic nursing care like making sure that my patients get their meds, have good pain control, get fed appropriately, get blood sugar checks if necessary, get their braces cleaned and adjusted if they have 'em (we have quite a few patients in spinal braces of various shapes & sizes)... which is all good. I'm pleased with that. But! Remember how I was talking about how I feel like there is so much more I could be doing? I have quantified some of that for myself. (I apologize that this is going to be boring for non-nurses, but I've got to get this stuff in writing before it gets away from me!)

In a perfect day, I would go into each patient's room and do the following:
-introduce myself
-update the whiteboard (we use these to write the nurse's name, the patient's name, the date, and any other assorted information like questions or goals)
-check vitals, assess for pain
-listen to lungs/heart/abdomen
-ask the silly orientation questions (do you know who/where/when/why you are?)
-check their name band
-if they're someone who needs to be turned every two hours, go ahead & turn them unless the night nurse told me they were just turned.

It doesn't sound that hard. But I don't think I EVER actually get all of that done in one visit.

Later on in a perfect day, all my patients would get:
-a bath
-teeth brushed or oral care; frequent oral care for unconscious or trached patients
-lotion applied to dry skin, especially feet
-room tidied & organized
-turned/repositioned every two hours like clockwork
-education packets on pertinent health conditions
-a chart review that included not just med checks, but tracking down details like the location of their belongings and starting discharge paperwork
-new IVs if the old one(s) was due to expire
-their freaking disgusting nails trimmed (if applicable)
-whatever sort of wound care they may need
-an offer to help fill out their menu requests (if applicable)

I'm sure there is more that will come to mind over time.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?