.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, October 30, 2008

 

spit

I learned a random fascinating fact today: Byetta (a drug used to help treat type II diabetes) was derived from the saliva of the Gila monster. The coworker & I who were looking up the drug agreed that we couldn't make this stuff up!

I also did a good thing for a patient today - the patient had a painful wound that needed to be cleaned and have the dressing changed twice a day. The night nurse told me that it was so painful the patient was literally crying loudly... so before I did his wound care, I paged the doc and asked for an order for topical lidocaine. Which he stopped by and wrote for me almost immediately. So I was able to blast a bunch of numbing medication into this guy's wound - and it made a huge difference in his comfort level for the rest of my shift. That felt really, really good.

Of course, I also forgot to label a syringe of Reglan that subsequently got thrown away, and forgot to hang an antibiotic in a timely manner. This is why I will not be getting too big for my britches anytime soon.

Labels:


Comments:
too big for your britches? I thought you were losing wiehgt!
 
good for you, girl in greenwood! i read your blog and you should be so proud of yourself. nursing is a great profession. and don't worry about making little mistakes. admitting them is one of the things that will make you a great nurse. keep up the good work!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?