.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, October 05, 2008

 

adjustment

I noticed this week that I'm feeling like I'm getting the hang of being a nurse. I go to work, I get my assignment, I go about my day, and I generally don't freak out about any of the regular stuff that occurs in my shift. I still leave the hospital each day thinking that I could have done better/more/in depth/smarter... but I suppose that's always the case.

I continue to get good feedback from my patients, which is pretty reassuring. And I am really growing to like my coworkers. I already knew I liked the 4 others I went to school with, but I like the ones I didn't know in advance, too.

I did post-mortem care for the first time this past week. The patient wasn't assigned to me, but the nurse who was assigned to him was busy with a semi-emergency and the deceased patient was, well, deceased. So I helped. And I was surprisingly okay with it. I suppose it helped that the patient was elderly and had a do-not-resuscitate order and died peacefully.

On a personal note, I'm finally getting some time off. I didn't work last weekend, but my in-laws were here so I didn't exactly have down time. This weekend, however, I have been lazy as hell, and I have two more days off before I go back to work. Sometimes working 12 hour shifts is so worth it!

Two of the best patient quotes this week:

(little old lady to male nurse) "Don't you touch me, or I will KICK YOU IN THE BALLS!"

(head-injured young patient to the same nurse, on the same day) "Dude, do you think you could get me some weed?"

Labels:


Comments:
I love the patient quotes!
I also wanted to respond to this: "I still leave the hospital each day thinking that I could have done better/more/in depth/smarter... but I suppose that's always the case." I am starting to realize everyone goes through this all the time, and will for years. I feel like I am a somewhat experienced teacher by now, but after every class I can name 1000 things I could improve. I think there is always room for improvement, and the fact that I think like this is what makes me a good teacher. Anyway, sometimes I get down on myself for not always being amazing, and it helps to take a step back and look at the big picture.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?