.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

 

so far

I've worked on the floor at BCH for 5 shifts and here are a few things I've learned so far:

1) There is a device for cleaning out gnarly wounds called a waterpick. I did not know such a thing even existed before last week.

2) Fentanyl lollipops (excuse me, transmucosal delivery systems) don't look like lollipops at all. They look like an instrument that is the perfect size to shove into a nostril, actually.

3) If you are a morbidly obese diabetic man, you may want to look into personal hygiene, before you develop an infection where the sun doesn't shine. Holy crap, I've never seen wounds like that before.

4) Apparently having a rectal tube (excuse me, fecal continence management system) installed feels like "having a Ho-Ho shoved up [your] butt". Or so my patient informed me.

5) If you inject heroin into your subclavian veins, Very Bad Things can happen. If that's not quite enough information for you, google necrotizing fasciitis. See? Very bad.

6) Working 2 12-hour shifts on consecutive days makes my hips ache by the end of the second day. But with support socks at least my feet don't hurt.

7) I really need to work on my time-management skills.

8) I probably need to make myself a more structured brain sheet/to-do list if I'm going to not forget stuff.

Labels:


Comments:
I had just been wondering how your new gig was going! Welcome back to teh Internets.

Will you be working this weekend, or is yours a weekday-only schedule?
 
Emily! I'm so proud of you! I just plugged into your blog when I was futzing around on the web and I'm so happy to hear you passed NCLEX and are working. Great job! You sound like you're doing great.

thirddegreenurse
 
Hey there... Just an FYI - if your hips are hurtin' then maybe you should look into different shoes. I used to wear Danskos until I ran a marathon. Now I have to use orthotics which doesn't fit in Danskos. My latest favorite footwear for work is expensive - but worth it - MBT (Masai Barefoot Technology). No more joint pain and I don't need to put orthotics in them. Check it out! :)
 
Hip pain: I haven't tried them, but I've only heard good things from the staff that wear Z-coils. I've got a "difficult" knee from my time in the military--I've found my favorite thing is to pop 220 to 440mg of Naproxen sodium at breakfast. It works the best for me, and it's a 12 hour dose.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?