.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

 

I made a decision

I accepted the job at Big County Hospital today. I had an interview at University Teaching Hospital that actually went really, really well... but even so, I think I will be more comfortable with the BCH job. The UTH job was on a very busy mostly surgical unit, and I was frankly intimidated about the idea of trying to learn about all these complex surgical patients while at the same time trying to figure out how to be a nurse without passing out from anxiety. I like the idea of learning from the ground up with all the other new staff. I really like the idea of being in a position to help develop a positive culture on a new unit instead of stepping into established political crap. And I like the idea of having mostly medical patients. Diseases are interesting.

But, the experience of having a really good interview and having the nurse manager offer me the job on the spot was extremely affirming. I had this irrational fear that the nurse manager at BCH was hiring everyone with a pulse just to staff her unit... but today's experience gave me a lot more confidence.

Now I just need to finish the quarter, pass the boards, and get a license. You know, piece of cake. Haha.

P.S. to Doug - 0.9 means 90% of full time, in this case 36 hours/week in the form of 3 12-hour shifts. That means FOUR DAYS OFF every week, rock!

Labels: ,


Comments:
Congratulations, you about-to-be-employed person!
 
Hurray! Now you can focus on finishing school without worrying about looking for a job.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?