.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, August 30, 2007

 

book report: Black Swan Green

Black Swan Green
by David Mitchell

I originally got this book from the library because I had enjoyed Mitchell's other books (Number9Dream, Ghostwritten, etc) so much. I spent the first half of this book being disappointed that it was so much smaller in scope and so much less extravagant in structure than his other books. But despite myself, I got caught up in the story.

Jason Taylor is a 13-year-old boy in a small town in England in 1982. He is not having a good year. He has a stutter which he battles daily, he broke his grandfather's watch in a stupid accident, and his parents' marriage is breaking down. He also has to deal with school bullies and continually fails to live up to his older sister's perfection.

This is one of those "coming of age" stories, and it's gorgeously written. I still like Mitchell's more creative works better, though.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?