.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

 

i has a job!

I was offered the nurse tech job at Neighborhood Private Hospital this morning. :) I will be working between half and full time this summer after classes end. They call the unit "acute care" but in this hospital, it really means "place where we stick everyone who is too sick to go home but not sick enough to get sent up to the big hospital with an ICU". So there are patients who are a day or two out of routine surgery, like appendectomy or joint replacement, patients with a serious illness like pneumonia, patients with an infected wound or something that needs frequent nursing care, and the occasional sick elderly person who is a DNR and therefore doesn't need ICU facilities. I think the variety sounds fantastic! I really dislike working on a unit like the one I'm on for clinicals, where virtually all the patients are there for the same reason (it's an ortho unit and everyone has a shiny new hip or knee joint, mostly). It's boring and routine and I don't learn many new things. So my summer job sounds like I'll be able to learn a little about all kinds of stuff!

Now I just have to get through the rest of the quarter. First up: finish the next three weeks of clinical and get some free time back. On deck: write giant research paper.

Labels: ,


Comments:
Sweet deal - I agree with you that the variety does sound awesome and will give you a way to flesch out your mad nursing skillz, as they say. Blech to research papers though.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?