.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Saturday, April 07, 2007

 

taking on the second half

Okay, back into school. It's pretty remarkable to think about how much I've learned in the past year. One year ago I was finishing my first week of nursing school and freaking out about 1000 times a day. (Aw, look how excited I was!) This week, I'm a little stressed with how much reading I have to do, and a little nervous about going to clinical next week, but I am definitely much more confident and ready to roll. I still don't like to start in a new clinical setting where I don't know anyone and don't know where anything is, but I've lived through it before so I'm sure I'll be fine.

I saw my dentist this week and he asked me how nursing school was going, and did I do stuff like give people shots? And I was all like, "pshaw, give shots, that's no big deal." One year ago, I think I would've fallen out of the dentist's chair at the very idea of giving injections.

So what am I doing this quarter? Well, I've got two days of lecture on campus, and two days of med-surg clinical at Awesome University Hospital, and one day every other week in the inpatient psych unit at Big County Hospital where I was last quarter for med-surg. I feel pretty positive about the med-surg class, and about the psych nursing theory course, but I am scared to death about the psych clinical. I don't know if I'm scared of being around crazy people, or if I'm scared that I will be horrible at dealing with crazy people, or if I'm scared that I am not that far from crazy myself and that I will end up a patient instead of a nurse. I am hoping this is just anxiety and I will be fine once I get going.

I am making a big effort this quarter to build in more healthy habits, so I have been working out in the mornings before I go to class, and have been eating right. Yogurt or high-fiber cereal for breakfast, salads for lunch, protein and veggies for dinner. And have I lost any weight? No, no I have not. Sigh. At least I'm doing all the right things.

Okay, back to studying.

Labels:


Comments:
Good to hear that you're taking care of yourself. :) Working out will help with the stress. Just make sure you have the right shoes!

As for the psych clinical - I enjoyed my rotation. It really forced me to be conscious of my communication skills.

Good luck and keep us posted!!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?