.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, February 08, 2007

 

wish answered

On Tuesday, I almost fell asleep in lecture, then had to go to the hospital to pick patients for clinical. I was exhausted, cranky that my fave classmate M* wasn't with us, annoyed that I'd been allegedly exposed to pertussis at clinical last week and had to take 5 days of azithromycin, and anxious about moving to a new unit (ortho trauma, now with 100% more broken patients!) where I could hurt someone inadvertantly, etc. I commented to classmates A* and A* who were in my car that if I could just have a weekend right then, between Tuesday and Wednesday, everything would be fine. I would catch up on my sleep and get caught up at home and study for our cardio test on Monday.

So we arrived at the hospital and I went up to the new unit, nervous as all hell, and spoke to the charge nurse (who was SUPER helpful and kind), and he picked out two patients for me, one of whom I thought I could care for easily, and one of whom was so broken I was scared even thinking about touching her. She'd survived a nasty car wreck but had LOTS of broken things including both femurs (thigh bones for you nonmedical types). Ouch! So I worked very hard on my pre-plans and was all ready to roll on Wednesday morning... when my clinical instructor called me to say that she was very sick and clinical has been cancelled for the week because she couldn't find anyone who would be able to take her place and supervise us students on the floor. And obviously it's illegal for students to practice without supervision. So! I got my weekend after all! Although this does mean I'll have to go to one more week of clinical closer to the end of the quarter.

Yesterday I went out for breakfast with R*, studied my cardio stuff, worked out (30 minutes of cardio and 20 minutes of yoga, it was awesome! I want to do that every day!), spent quality time with my sweetie and my cat, painted my toenails, cooked dinner, and went to bed early. Today so far I've done some cleaning around the house, changed the sheets on the bed, and made plans for a study group later this afternoon. Later I'll work out and make dinner.

I really needed the break. Nursing school is kicking my butt this quarter. I'm already anxious for next quarter, because I hear we have just as much lecture plus THREE nights of clinical a week. Egad.

Labels:


Comments:
I'm glad you got your wish. Extra days, even extra hours of studying make a difference. I hope the week of extra clinical days doesn't end up driving you too crazy.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?