.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

 

book report: The Known World

The Known World
by Edward P. Jones

This was a hard book to read. It's a novel written in the style of a historical account about a group of slaves, white slave owners, and free black people in Virginia just before the Civil War. I found it painfully honest and explicit about the horrors of slavery, including some rarely-discussed practices such as free blacks buying their own slaves, and free blacks being kidnapped and sold back into slavery.

I believe the title refers to the small area that contains all the characters and action of the book - a few plantations and their slave quarters in one county. Though the geographic area may be small, the depth of feeling and the effect on the reader are enormous.

Labels:


Comments:
I agree! I actually thought the book was easier to read than I had anticipated - with many happy moments and stories of slaves surviving and finding freedom. I found it one of the best books I have read in a long time.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?