.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Saturday, October 14, 2006

 

clinical

This was the first week where we actually went to clinical at the hospital. Last Thursday we had clinical orientation but that was just a tour - this week we actually got assigned a patient and had to assess them, come up with care plan, etc. I was terrified of the whole thing since I don't have any hospital experience at all - I hate doing new stuff, even though it's good for me blah blah blah. But it went pretty well and I at least know where to find a couple of things on this unit at the hospital... if nothing else I can get a patient a clean gown and measure their oxygen saturation or blood sugar! By the end of the week I started to think that I might actually have fun by the end of the quarter.

However, I also started to think that I need to quit my job. I was supposed to work this morning but called in. I'm just too tired and stressed out, and R* says it's more important to him that I do well in school and that we have some semblence of a home life than that I bring home a few hundred dollars a month. Also, an unexpected variable is that my classes run a lot longer than they are scheduled - for example, I chose to work Wednesdays 2-10 PM because I was supposed to get out of skills lab at 12:30. In reality, I don't get out of skills lab until 1:30 or later, which makes it impossible to even get to work on time. I've already been in touch with the mom of the little boy I babysit occasionally, and I'm going to pick up some babysitting hours a few afternoons a week. While I don't have tons of free time, I think I can make that work, and it will be way less stressful than trying to cram in an 8 hour shift at work! Now I need to call my boss and explain that I'm leaving. I feel guilty about it - but I know I've gotta do what's right for me and R*.

Labels: ,


Comments:
Emily,
You'll be fine. I feel your pain. I am now working at least 2 days/week, but like you, my schedule keeps getting shifted by my instructors. Even though I work at the hospital affiliated with our school, my employer counts on me to be on time. It's tough. I'm going to cut back on my hours on weeks in which I have exams because I blew my final in Peds. Still got an A in the class but had zero time to study for that test. Don't forget -- we have to pass the NCLEX, too! So we have to keep our eyes on the Big Picture.

Take care.
 
If you can afford it, don't work while in school. My husband worked two jobs while I went to RN school. Unfortunately, I have to work full time during Grad school.. It's a bummer but doable... Hang in there!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?