.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

 

book report: On the Black Hill

On the Black Hill
by Bruce Chatwin

I can't remember where I heard of this book. I have a feeling that it was from Quev, but I also can't remember why I think that.

The story is set in Wales circa World War II and follows the lives of two brothers, Benjamin and Lewis. We first meet them near the end of their lives, when they are two elderly bachelor farmers who work the land, keep the house, and even sleep in the same bed. Then the book retraces their lives from childhood up through their later years. I know this sounds really boring, but it's not. Chatwin lays out the factors in the brothers' lives that caused them to end up alone together in their old age, but allows the reader to draw her own conclusions about what it all means. I appreciated this approach to the story - I found it much more engaging than moralizing or too much access to the the brothers' thoughts would have been.

Labels:


Comments:
I just found your blog, and your report, a while back, on my book. Thanks! You are obviously a voracious reader, which is something I admire and to which I aspire. I have an ever-heightening pile of books on the nightstand. And I thing Greenwood is a very cool part of Seattle. I'm a few miles north.

Thanks for reading my blog. I'll be back here. And good luck on the nursing degree. A good nurse is a gift to the world. He says, cloyingly.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?