.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

 

book reports: Cutting Remarks, Nursing America, and Forensic Nurse

A selection of the health-care nonfiction I've read recently.

Cutting Remarks: Insights and Recollections of a Surgeon
by Sidney M. Schwab

Dr. Schwab is a well-known blogger who has written a book reflecting on his medical career. I checked out his book after I read someplace that he lives in Western Washington - which is a dumb reason to pick up a book, but I really enjoyed it, so I'm glad that the reason presented itself. There is a stereotype that all surgeons think they're God and are assholes to the nurses, the med students, etc... but either Dr. Schwab is an exception to the rule, or he's in deep denial. He writes about events in his career with a sense of wonder and humility. And he's had a lot of events, including a stint overseas during the Vietnam War. Best of all, the man is FUNNY. I really liked this book and am now a devoted reader of his blog, too!

Nursing America: One Year Behind the Nursing Stations of an Inner-City Hospital
by Sandy Balfour

I was excited to read this book based on the description - I haven't had any experience with the nitty-gritty of nursing in an inner-city hospital and so I'd like to learn about it. But while Balfour did a great job of portraying the personalities and convictions of the nurses he shadowed in Memphis, he shied away from the medical details. For example, I was intrigued by the burn unit nurse who said, "I love to clean a dirty burn!" but there was no following description of what she would actually DO. However, Balfour did hit on some very serious and pertinent issues in nursing in a public hospital, such as the constant budget strain, race relations, noncompliant patients, and the stress of working under all of those pressures and more.

Forensic Nurse: The New Role of the Nurse in Law Enforcement
by Serita Stevens

This book was informative, but I didn't think it was very well written. I did learn a lot about an area of nursing I had previously not been aware of - forensic nursing. Forensic nurses contribute to law enforcement by collecting evidence and testifying in court. For example, a forensic nurse might examine a rape victim and testify about the evidence that she found at trial. Or an FN might examine a child or vulnerable adult when abuse is suspected, or even examine a corpse for evidence of homicide. The case examples were very interesting and did a great job of clarifying the role of the forensic nurse. However, the book could have used a tighter edit - it was kind of repetitive and I was distracted by the "political" remarks that the author made. I don't mean political as in about government politics, I mean political as in airing complaints about different factions in the nursing community. I found that a bit jarring. Overall, though, this book is worth a skim if you're interested in learning more about the field of forensic nursing.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
Not ALL surgeons are assholes to the nurses and other staff... Luckily, I had the opportunity to work with many who appreciate the teamwork required to help make a procedure go as smoothly as possible.

By the way - love the book review. I will definitely check out these books!!!
 
Great job on the book reviews. I'll check out the first one...I like his blog, too.

And I agree; some of the kindest doctors I've worked with thus far are surgeons.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?