.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, June 19, 2006

 

not a CNA, not yet a nurse

Do you have Britney Spears in your head now? No? Then go back and read the title of this entry again.

Today was my first day training at the Old People Hotel. I've been away from the CNA role since April 1st, which really isn't that long. And I've had 10 weeks of nursing school, which really isn't that much. And yet I found today that I feel completely differently about the CNA job than I did in April.

The girl who trained me is actually one of my classmates from my CNA training class last fall, which was a nice surprise - it was nice to see a familiar face in a new setting. But I was very much struck by the attitude of "getting my work done" that all the CNAs showed - not that they are uncaring or abusive to the residents in any way. But instead of putting the residents' well-being first in their minds, they are more concentrated on finishing their tasks on time. That is such a contrast to the conditioning we've gotten in nursing school, where we are taught to be primarily concerned with the client's needs and preferences even if that makes our job harder. (Up to a point, obviously.)

I think I was probably somewhat this way before starting nursing school, although I'd like to think that I was more attuned to what my residents wanted and needed. I guess it was easier at The Home because the residents were for the most part more "with it." So it was easier for me to remember to respect their individuality, because they would remind me.

In any event, I'm pretty sure that what my nursing instructors would tell me to do is to model the behaviors that I believe to be correct. So I will model good teamwork, respectful treatment of residents, and personal responsibility. And I will earn my stardust ('cause you sure can't call a CNA's wage "money") and keep my head down until it's time to go back to school.

Also, I went to the gym and worked out after work - and then soaked in the hot tub for my aching feet. I am not used to be on my feet 8 hours a day anymore.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
You sound like you already have a great work ethic. No doubt you are going to be a great nurse!!!

Thanks so much for stopping in and leaving me a "congrats", it means alot to me. I'm so excited and I can't wait.

We need to keep in closer contact so we can share experiences or war stories. LOL.

I couldn't find an email addy on your site.
Dawn
 
Sounds like you are on your way to being a great nurse! By the way, make sure you invest in compression stockings and good shoes... :)
 
it is sad emily, but that is the real world. i am amazed at how people do it, but slowly, i see and understand why people turn out that way. the management increases your tasks and patient load, and STILL expect you to do the best you can at the same time. a lot of people can't do all, and it is reasonable; but i agree, we should never let compassion and respect be a thing of the past.
 
It's a very different point of view between CNAs and nurses. But I know a lot of CNAs who are better nurses than some I know. It's very important for all of us to treat the patients like we would want to be treated.
 
I was a CNA for years before becoming an RN, and it taught me a lot more than nursing school ever did.

Also, I have had experiences as an RN in which a CNA came to me and said "you have to go see so-and-so, something's wrong" and it turns out the CNA picked up on something serious, like a TIA or hypoglycemia.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?