.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, April 27, 2006

 

this is good

Even though I am completely preoccupied by school, this is the happiest I can remember being in years. I feel so purposeful! And I'm also doing well in school. My instructors tell me I'm doing a good job, both in the classroom and with the hands-on skills. Obviously doing well in the classroom doesn't guarantee that I'll be a good nurse, but it doesn't hurt.

I went for a "run" last night after I got home from school. The quote marks are there because I can only actually run for 3 or 4 blocks before I have to take a walking break. And today I'm very sore in my thighs and especially my hips. But I feel good that I actually got off my ass and did it, especially because I'm really uncomfortable running.

Actually, that's been a theme since the first day I started nursing school - there are a lot of things that make me uncomfortable and I think that's good. I'm uncomfortable getting up at 5:00 to get to clinical on time. I'm uncomfortable speaking in front of a group of people. I'm uncomfortable introducing myself over and over and over to strangers. I'm uncomfortable touching people I don't know. But this is precisely why going into nursing is so good for me - I will grow and stretch and it will be good for me, and I will be proud of myself. And, you know, save lives and stuff.

Labels:


Comments:
Yes, this IS good for you. And I'm very proud of you for having the courage to be uncomfortable. For me, putting myself in a growth situation has made me "comfortable being uncomfortable." Does that make sense? Anyway, keep plugging away!!! I'm cheering for ya!
 
I'm rooting for you, too! My clinical instructor for Med Surg gave me an A this semester b/c he said I finally "got it." He meant that I showed that I was willing to do things I had never done before w/o hesitation b/c they needed to be done. I always want to go back to the book and review things before I do them and you don't get that chance on the floor sometimes. You just have to close your eyes, visualize the steps of procedure for 30 seconds, then do it. He said most of nursing is that way b/c you're asked to do new things all the time.

Keep doing things you're uncomfortable with and you'll be surprised how far you'll be a year from now.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?