.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

 

book report: Weight

Weight: The Myth of Atlas and Heracles
by Jeannette Winterson

I actually didn't mean to read this book first. I meant to read "The Penelopiad" by Margaret Atwood instead. But then I saw "Weight" was part of the same Myths series and I had really enjoyed reading "Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit". So I grabbed "Weight" first. And honestly, I was disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I really like Winterson's conversation tone and deftness of imagery. And I loved the idea of Heracles just dropping by to see Atlas, out there in the universe with the world on his shoulder. But I thought Winterson put too much of her own feelings & story into the book... it was enough for me to know that she felt compelled to write about Atlas. I get it, she feels she has burdens of her own, we can all identify. But to rattle on about her process interrupted the story for me in an unpleasant way.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I still really want to read "The Penelopiad."

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?