.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

 

book report: Coraline

Coraline
by Neil Gaiman

I read in Wired magazine that "Coraline" is being made into an animated movie. And based on how very much I have loved Neil Gaiman's novels for adults, I immediately rushed to the library (well, the website anyway) to request "Coraline" for myself.

Wow. It's really good. It's scary but not horrifying. Gaiman manages to be rather profound without being condescending or too intellectual for kids to grasp. Coraline as a character is strong without being violent, and smart without being a prig. I would have LOVED this book when I was about 8.

The short version of the plot - Coraline finds a door in her house that leads to another world - the other world is like a funhouse mirror of her house and her family. The "other mother" in the other world is evil and frightening and wants to keep Coraline with her "for ever and always." Plus, she's friends with the rats. Eeeeek!

Now I can't wait to see the movie.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?