.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

 

why I want to be a nurse

The Differential: Medscape Med Students Blogs: Therapeutic Moments

I know that the point the author (a med student) was making was about her own desire to heal, to have that "therapeutic moment" - but I responded so much to this:

"You can walk around making decisions all day long: “decrease TPN to 80,” “d/c phototherapy,” “increase IV fluids,” “stat CBC and blood cultures,” “wean to open crib,” “feed for weight.” But it’s only words. This, the actual blood draw, the actual medication change, the act of talking to the parents, the act of holding and feeding, this is the healing. "

I read that and thought "yes! this is why I want to be a nurse!"

Very affirming.

Comments:
Oh, I like that! I was thinking of you today when a news story came on TV about the dramatic shortage of school nurses and what the presence of a school nurse can mean for a kid who might not be getting medical care anywhere else. There are so many ways to do good... the only choice is which one when!
 
It's very true about the act of nursing.. We can all do the "mechanical" parts but it's take a special person to actually care about a patient and really work toward getting them better..
 
Hey there

The "nurse practitioner" banned me when I disagreed with her, all I posted was:

Hi there,

I just tried to post a comment after your reply to my looking for a debate on the pros and cons of "NP's" earlier...and you have banned my comments it seems.

Childish, petulant and disappointing. I thought you Americans believed in freedom of speech, not suppression of reasoned debate !!

You've certainly lost me as a visitor! By the way, I don't have a blog, too busy unfortunately :)

Best of luck...although we differ on the role of nurses vs doctors it seems...and perhaps on our willingness to consider opinions contrary to our own...I do respect someone studying fulltime with 4 kids.

Best wishes, Dr T.
 
Whoa, now, I just write here! I'd appreciate if you didn't use my comments to send messages to people other than myself. If you feel the need to talk to NursePractitioner, send an email.

NP, I'll delete the anonymous comment above if you like. You can email me at emily at emilyskinner dot com.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?