.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, November 18, 2005

 

new job

So, I've been at my new job for about a week. The Home is an assisted living facility in a pretty nice neighborhood not too far from where I live. There are about 90 residents in the building, but a little less than half of them are completely independent. I believe there are 47 residents who are on the assisted living program, and a handful of those currently have no services or minimal services (like picking up their laundry). There are 3 nursing assistants on duty during the day and evening shifts, and 2 overnight, but I'm not scheduled to work the overnight shift, thank goodness!

I did three days of training (two on the day shift and one on the evening shift), and then Wednesday evening I worked by myself for the first time. Well, not really by myself, since there were 2 other CNAs there with me. I think I did okay. I'm sure I'll get better at it as I get used to the residents' preferences and schedules. Like the one lady who goes to bed before 8:00 every night, so you have to wake her up for her 8:00 meds. Aargh, I felt so bad waking her, but she was very matter-of-fact about it. It must happen a lot. Most of the residents seem very nice - I'm looking forward to getting to know them better.

My normal schedule will be working two morning shifts and two evening shifts. One of the evening shifts is followed by one of the morning shifts. There's not enough time between shifts to get a decent night's sleep. Oh well - I can see there will be afternoon naps in my future! I'm not working tonight - someone who is leaving is picking up an extra shift on her way out - which is nice because I am taking the state exam to get licensed on Sunday and I'm glad to have the downtime. And I'm not working my normal morning shift next week because I switched with someone and am working a different morning instead. How's that for confusing?

When I have more time, I have some observations to make about class identity and self-image and so forth... but right now I have a messy house to clean instead.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?