.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, September 23, 2005

 

hausfrau

So far, I love impersonating a housewife. The house is about 8 times cleaner than it was last week, and I'm starting to tackle the projects that I always mean to do but never seemed to have time for - like going through our books for ones to discard, cleaning out my closet, washing windows, and so on.

But I'm not just sitting around on my butt, either - I'm going to school 3 times a week for the CNA certification program. The "book-learning" part of the course is not hard for me at all, but I feel like such a klutz when it comes to learning new hands-on skills. Like this week, I started learning how to take blood pressure. There's not that much to it - you feel for the person's brachial pulse, you put the cuff on their arm and pump it up, you put the diaphragm of the stethoscope over the brachial pulse, and you deflate the cuff while listening for their pulse to become audible and then fade out, noting the numbers on the gauge at those times. It sounds really straightforward, right? But jeez, I'm so klutzy, I feel like all the tubes and everything are trying to tie themselves in knots. And I'm concentrating so hard on listening that I have trouble remembering to look at the gauge and remember the numbers, which duh, is the whole point. On the other hand, I can tell that as soon as I have the chance to practice some more, it will become totally second nature and easy. I hate this part of learning something new - I really prefer to know what I am doing! And I have a terrible fear of looking stupid.

But don't get the impression I'm not enjoying the class. I am. And I'm looking forward to actually interacting with patients in a few weeks when I start my clinical!

Back to shoes: I tried on a pair of Dansko Sport clogs yesterday (lower, wider heel and more squooshy inside) - I think I like them. And I found a really good deal on them online here. Should I just go for it, instead of trying on 101 other kinds of shoes?

Comments:
I found when I was learning to take BPs that it was the sounds I found hardest, since I was never sure if if was something else I was hearing. I started out by practicing listening with my eyes closed, and when I was confident that I could distinguish them from outside noise I started to do it with my eyes open, and incorporated remembering the measurement...I spent a lot of time with my eyes closed!
 
Practice BPs by enlisting your friends and family as subjects. Maybe this might increase their health awareness, too! :)

As for the Danskos, some people like them - some don't. The only way you'll know is by spending a whole day in them! But - I swear by mine... :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?