.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, August 05, 2005

 

I think I learned something

Shrimplate: People Who Need People are the Loneliest People

This post clicked for me after reading this sentence: "Because so many of the homeless and mentally ill are military veterans, any cuts to programs that serve the homeless and mentally ill are budget cuts against veterans themselves."

Holy crap. I knew that military personnel were getting the shaft - but I had never put that together with welfare reform and cuts in treatment for the mentally ill. Couple that with the overrepresentation of people of color in the military, and you've got a nice trifecta of discrimination occuring, as sanctioned by the government.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?