.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

 

book thirty-nine

The Woman Warrior
by Maxine Hong Kingston

This is another book that I ran across when I was researching stuff for the multicultural class. The world is full of books that I know I should have read, but haven't. This was one.

I expected something a lot drier than what I got, happily. I had thought that Kingston would write about Asian-American women and their experiences in American society and so forth... and she did, but in a fictionalized way that drew me into the story in a way that statistics would not. I also didn't expect the long stretches of fiction that appear to be retellings of Chinese legends, or perhaps are stories that Kingston made up in the style of Chinese legends. Her voice is unique and her stories offer a view into a world of immigrant families that I would never experience otherwise.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?