.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

 

book forty

Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit
by Jeannette Winterson

Another byproduct of my multicultural class research - I was going to write a paper about this book, but realized halfway in that it was set in Great Britain and I was supposed to be writing about Americans. I'm not sorry I read it, however - Winterson is a really good writer and her droll voice has stayed in my head.

The narrator of the book is a teenage girl who was adopted by extremely religious parents and raised with the goal of becoming a missionary. However, she thwarts her mother's plans for her by turning out to be a lesbian. The story chronicles her experiences with the church, her parents, and the surprising compassion of some of the members of the church congregation. I'm under the impression that the book is strongly autobiographical... and it makes my head ache to think that people can be so cruel to a girl just discovering who she is. I'm interested in reading more of Winterson's work to see what else she has to say.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?