.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, July 25, 2005

 

when it's time for me to find my next job

I've been thinking about how I will go about finding a CNA job after I take CNA training and get licensed. I've assembled this list of resources, but would welcome input from other nursing assistants et al out there! At this point, I'm thinking that I want to try to find a hospital CNA job rather than a nursing home job... not because I have any problem with working in a nursing home, but because I think it would be more useful to my future nursing career to get some hospital experience.

Washington Health Care Careers
Seattle Children's Hospital
Evergreen Health Care
Group Health
UW Medical Center
Northwest Hospital
Overlake Hospital
Polyclinic
Providence
Stevens Healthcare
Virginia Mason
Swedish Hospitals
PacMed
Valley Medical Center
Fred Hutchison Cancer Research Center
Highline Medical Center

Comments:
Good idea! Even just getting used to the simplest hospital equipment like IV drip machines and rolling the beds around helps me. Plus, you can quickly learn some of the software and codes and where supplies are located on the floor, so when you start working, it will feel more natural.
 
CNA roles differ at every hospital. My friend had a CNA job at a hospital where they trained her to do phlebotomy on top of the other stuff you learn in a CNA course. The training was even better than the CNA course that she took! The experience made her more confident in clinical.

I would look into the role descriptions when trying to decide where to apply. You want to make the most out of your experience. Also, find out what programs they have for nursing students. Most hospitals offer externships for nursing students after their first year of core nursing courses. If you're a CNA at the hospital, maybe you can get first consideration. Good luck!
 
Thanks for the encouragement, Denise & Marj! I'm sooooo nervous about stepping off the cliff of my cushy day job... but it's forward progress.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?