.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, July 28, 2005

 

I must be getting soft.

This week's class was actually not that painful. I don't know if I'm getting accustomed to being annoyed, or if this week's subject material (Social Policy) was more interesting to me, or what. I hate to say it, but I think the fact that the prof has noticed that I'm one of the "smart kids" smoothed my feathers a little.

Tidbit I learned from lecture: Lyndon B. Johnson was influenced to stay involved in the Vietnam conflict by two of his Texan political backers, who had an oil company named after them called Brown & Root. Brown & Root went on to merge with Kellogg Oil and became Kellogg Brown & Root, or KBR for short. KBR is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Halliburton. I have twisted this around inside my head so that I can blame Dick Cheney for the Vietnam War. I know that's factually inaccurate, but I like dumping them all in the same bucket.

I went to the gym last night with R* and when I got there I realized I had forgotten to put any socks in my gym bag. Another woman in the locker said to her friend, "I forgot my shoes!" and I said, "I forgot my socks!" and she said, "I can help you, I've got socks to spare!" and gave me a pair. It was a really nice thing. Oh, and this may not impress anyone much, but I was able to jog on the treadmill for 12 of the 20 minutes I treadmilled. Usually when I jog for more than 2 or 3 minutes in a row, my heart rate shoots up over 170 and I start gasping like a fish. But last night I was able to jog for 7 minutes, take a walk break, and jog another 5 minutes with my heart rate in the 160s. Yay!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?