.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, July 15, 2005

 

don't know what to say

I really don't know what to write about lately. It's not because nothing is happening - it's just that I'm not sure what to express. Here's a short overview of what's been happening with me:

Weight loss - I am 1.5 pounds away from hitting the 30-pounds-gone mark. It's getting more and more noticeable that my clothes are getting too big - in fact, I'm going to have to buy some smaller bras. I hate bra shopping, incidentally. Especially when I'm not even sure at this point what size I am!

School - The multicultural class is driving me batty. I'm sure you already know that from my collection of mean-spirited haiku. But! It's half over already!

Work - Aw, hell, I can't talk about work on my blog. It's the same as always. I do have to admit that I like my new cubicle better than my old desk in the open area, but I'm still offended by the whole no-office debacle.

Nursing stuff - I've made a decision about how to proceed. I'm going to take night courses to work toward getting licensed at a CNA. At a point in the future (which I am not disclosing publically since I need to hang on to my job for the time being!), I will quit my day job, finish the clinical portion of the CNA training, and look for an aide job. I'll apply to the RN degree program in January, and if I'm accepted, I'll start RN school fulltime in March.

Cats - The most emotionally exhausting thing I'm dealing with right now is caring for our two elderly cats. Neither of them are at death's door or anything, but they're both getting more fragile and need more care. The black cat needs 3 pills a day. That's fun, let me tell you.

GTD - I've been doing a little reading about "Getting Things Done" - I suspect that becoming more organized with my tasks would decrease my anxiety level, but I haven't yet figured out the best way to attack it.

Comments:
I liked Brussels (although I last visited there in 1975 -- eek, I'm soooo old -- I really liked it and I'd like to go back sometime).

You may THINK you don't have much to say but you have really accomplished a lot! Life sometimes just seems to move slowly...I have those same organization problems too.

I have another book for you to read (if you're in dire need of reading material) -- have you read Bellwether by Connie Willis?
 
I am always open to new reading materials suggestions, thank you! I looked up Bellwether and it sounds like it's right up my alley... I will put it on my library holds list. Reading the two-sentence blurb about it reminded me of William Gibson's Pattern Recognition.
 
I'm with Jodie. You HAVE accomplished a lot and 30 pounds is a terrific weight loss! Congratulations. Sounds like you have a good plan on how to proceed to become an RN.
 
Working as a CNA is a great idea. You might learn as much doing that as you will in nursing school itself.

A hospital CNA position, as opposed to a nursing home or skilled nursing facility, would probably be most helpful.

Also, it's very easy to move from a CNA position to a hospital unit secretary or monitor tech position, and you can learn wads of cool stuff doing that, too.
 
Thanks Denise. You're always so supportive!

And thanks to you too, shrimplate - I *hope* I can find a hospital CNA job whie I spin wheels waiting to get into the RN program... I have a couple of tenuous contacts that may be able to help me down that path.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?