.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

 

book twenty

Open Secrets
by Alice Munro

I really, really enjoyed this book. I found it recommended on Doppelganger's 50 Books blog. She is a real live Canadian so I figured she would know if Alice Munro was a good Canadian author or no. And she was right.

This particular book is a collection of short stories that vary wildly in time period. Most of the locations are in the same region, and some of the characters make an appearance in more than one story. But the theme tying the stories together is not the place or the people - it is the title concept of open secrets. Each of these stories touches on a secret desire or action or thought and deftly brings it to light.

Munro's writing has a very light touch - she does not overdescribe or overexplain. In tone, she reminds me a lot of Margaret Atwood - in particular, I was reminded of Cat's Eye quite often as I read Open Secrets. Good stuff.

Labels:


Comments:
I really liked Munro's latest collection, Runaway. Some of the characters show up in more than one story, but again the linkage is mostly thematic. I like her writing better than Atwood.

PS. You -- or someone coming from your blog -- was my 40,000th hit this afternoon.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?