.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

 

Super Duper Extreme Dietician Appointment.

Today was our first meeting with the dietician at the gym for the Super Duper Extreme Weight Loss Program. R* is enrolled in the full program, with doctors, trainers, counselors, the whole nine yards. I'm trying to play along from home. It was really hard to get up at 5:30 this morning and go to Redmond, and then work out while R* had his trainer appointment... but I guess I need to get used to it. At least I'll only be going to Redmond once a week.

Happily, the dietician is more than happy to accomodate advising me as well. She said that patients who have the support of their spouse do much better in the program than patients who are trying to do it on their own. So she whipped out an instruction sheet for the Week One diet for women as well. Here's what it looks like:

Breakfast: Super Duper shake powder with water, ice, 1/2 cup frozen or fresh berries, 1 Tbsp. peanut butter

Snack 1: (oh, the horror! men get a mid-morning snack and women don't. I'm thinking about splitting my lunch into two pieces so I can get one!) Shake with ice & water, or a protein muffin from the bistro at the club, or a pre-packaged EAS shake.

Lunch: 4-6 oz. very lean protein, 1 tsp olive oil or other fat serving, another breakfast-style shake. (Men get 12 oz protein per day over lunch & dinner, women get 10 oz)

Snack 2: same as snack 1.

Dinner: another 4-6 oz. protein, fat serving, and a third berryriffic peanutty shake.

The best part is, all seasonings and many condiments (mustard, soy sauce, etc) are acceptable, so I can make marinated chicken! or dijon halibut! or grilled tofu! We just have to measure to make sure we're eating the right amounts.

The dietician also helped us think through our plans after we told her that I'm in school two nights a week and don't get home until late. She suggested that on days when I get up really early, I have the shake from my lunch for a mid-morning snack. And on days when I'm going to get home really late, she suggested that I have my dinner snack before class, and have the protein part when I get home.

As for exercise, the trainer is having R* do about 40 minutes of intense cardio, switching machines every 10 minutes or so, about 15 minutes of streching, and about 30 minutes of weights. That will be three times a week, and he's supposed to start out with 30-40 minutes of cardio two times a week. That isn't too horribly different from what I've been doing on my own... so I think I'll just keep doing it. I could probably stand to get more cardio, but I don't want to kill myself!

And finally, coffee is not completely verboten. She recommend that we cut down to one cup per day, or switch to tea. So when I got into the office, I had a cup of coffee, yay!

This all seems really doable. I'm excited.

Comments:
Good for you!

Don't give up. It is worth doing. This morning at the gym I saw one of the nurses I work with at the ER and we commented on all nurses we know who are working out everyday. Then, there are others, you know, who don't. They are usually both overweight and smokers which don't do much for their credibility as health advisors.

Great job on finishing your classes! I wish I could say I were done. Next week I have a scholarship interview but I hope they are not considering this semester's grades!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?