.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, March 10, 2005

 

book ten

How To Be Good
by Nick Hornby

Coworker L* loaned this to me as a fluff read for the gym. And it was good for that. While I do like Hornby's writing pretty well, I really didn't like the narrator of the book very much. I did think the story was interesting, and the characters were lifelike and tangible, which I appreciated. For some reason, I found the whole thing much more entertaining when I remembered that the characters should be speaking in English accents.

The basic plotline is that the narrator, Katie, is a doctor married to an angry newspaper columnist - a sarcastic, funny man. They have two school-aged children. Katie has been having an affair for no apparent reason, but constantly catalogs in her head all the reasons she is a good person anyway: she's a doctor who helps needy people, she raises her children right, and so on. Her life changes abruptly when she confesses her affair to her husband, and he leaves for a couple days and comes back a changed man. Does Katie even like this new man? Read and find out.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?