.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Friday, March 04, 2005

 

book nine

The Gate to Women's Country
by Sheri S. Tepper

First off, I want to thank Classmate M* for recommending this author, and reader Jodie for recommending this specific book.

I picked it up at the library yesterday, read the first 1/3 on the treadmill at the gym, read the next 1/3 at home on the couch, and finished it this morning on the bus. Soooooo good.

The book is set 300 years after a great "convulsion" (probably nuclear war) that killed most humans. Following the convulsion, part of society reorganized into "Women's Country," a matriarchal society where most of the men live in a military compound outside the village, ostensibly to protect the women. Boy children are taken to the men's compound at age 5 and raised to be warriors. At age 15, they are allowed to make a choice to stay in the garrison, or return through the titular gate to be part of the women's society.

The main character of the novel is a women named Stavia. The story follows her from age 10 to age 37, and slowly reveals the inner workings of Women's Country. I won't give away the secrets, but suffice to say that it is compelling and fascinating, and I don't think I'll be able to get it out of my head for months.

Labels: ,


Comments:
I'm glad you liked it -- I think it's the best one she's written. And here's another recommendation for those days you want to laugh and not think: Good Omens by Pratchett & Gaiman -- it's funny, and kind of a cross between the Exorcist and Monty Python.
 
Oh, I love that book! I read it ages ago and remember it fondly... so much so that I've got it back on my holds list at the library for another round of giggling.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?