.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

 

book eleven

A Wizard of Earthsea
by Ursula K. Le Guin

I was inspired to pick up this book after watching the SciFi miniseries and then reading an article by Ms. Le Guin about her problems with the series. One of the things that I'd totally missed when I read these books as a kid was the aspect of race - the main characters are mostly people of color. Either I didn't notice or didn't care about that when I read the books. In the miniseries, the characters are almost all white. Ms. Le Guin is terribly put off by this major change to her characters, because she had carefully developed the multiethnicity of their world. So, I re-read the first book in the series. And my response is, yeah, okay, the characters are described as being from a variety of ethnic background in terms of their color and language. But I didn't find it to be an integral part of the book. Now I wonder if I am too white or too dense to get Le Guin's message!

I did enjoy the story and I do intend to re-read the rest of the books in the series.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?