.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

 

time and balance

Balance in my life is something I struggle with a lot. Before I left town for Christmas, I wrote about finding an old journal that made me think about the issues that still bother me 5+ years later... and then my buddy the Third Degree Nurse wrote about looking at her New Year's resolutions and finding that she is usually happy in parts of her life but not in other parts. That comment pushed a button for me.

I do this self-assessment thing on the bus every morning on my way to work, where I ask my myself, "Are you happy?" (which is probably the wrong way to phrase it!) and then do my best to answer myself honestly. Most mornings the answer is "No, I feel anxious." Or tense, or angry, or sad, or tired. Or sometimes simply uncomfortable because I'm jammed into a seat that isn't quite big enough for me and my neighbor. Being someone who is prone to worrying and depression anyway, I then find myself worrying that I rarely answer myself with "Yes, I'm happy."

I have lots of good things in my life: My husband, my parents, my house, my neighborhood, my stepcats, a decent job (it's dumb, but the pay is decent, I have health insurance, and I love several of my coworkers a lot!), generally good health, two newer cars, good friends all over the world, school, a plan for my future career, the best public library... [totally off the subject: my neighborhood library branch is reopening January 29th!]

But then there are issues that keep bothering me: my weight, my stupid freaky skin (seriously, do I need to have acne, eczema, and wrinkles all at the same time?!), lack of quality time with my husband, ongoing struggle with anxiety/depression, and more recently, anxiety over whether I want to have a child or not. (Obviously, I am discussing this with my husband as well, but I am having a hell of a time figuring out what I want!)

So I do the best I can to find balance between the stressful things and the happy things. Which leads to weirdness like: my bathroom is filthy right now and I really really need to clean it, but if I don't give myself 30 minutes or an hour to read for fun every couple of days, I will go bonkers! (Denise, there's your answer about how I have time to read for fun - I give myself a break to read on nights that I don't have class. Sometimes it's only 15 minutes while I wait for the soup to simmer, but I read fast. My BA is in English literature, so I've been trained for quite some time to require regular infusions of text.)

The hardest thing for me to sort out is exercising. The problem is, I really don't LIKE to exercise. There are things that involve physical activity that I enjoy, like hiking, but I can't exactly do that 3-4 times a week with our crazy schedules. I do have a gym membership (two, actually, but that's another story), but I have trouble making myself go. That's just laziness - there is no reason I couldn't go every day. Speaking of which, coworker M* and I are leaving for the gym in 5 minutes!

Comments:
Hang in there, hon.

In 2002, after running ragged in a highly demanding job I didn't like, living in a state I don't fit in, I prayed for and begin to ask for a vision of BALANCE in my life.

Well, the Universe allowed me to go live in Europe for 4 months where I begin to get a better perspective on who I had become and where I might go next.

I was widowed when I was 35. At that time, I can remember going outside and asking the heavens "what do I do next?" I didn't have a clue, a direction, a way to cope. And I had 2 little girls. A wise person told me: "Hang in there. You'll get guidance one step at a time."

Tis true.

I think if you find nursing is fulfilling you'll have half of your answer. You will be making a big difference and alot of little differences in people's lives. And I believe people are happiest when they are truly of service in the world. I know you are now, too, but maybe you've outgrown your current place.

If you want some free advice, here it is:
I'd take your list of dislikes and see whether you can do something about any of them now. And keep moving in the nursing direction. For example, first your weight since it's first on the list. You're already off to the gym! That's good. (By the way when I did Weight Watchers they advised me to drink 6 glasses of water every day. Honestly, my skin never was better.) Second, your skin...and then go on down the list.

Just keeping the blog and being introspective contributes to growth, don't you think?

I think you're doing great.

(Sorry for the free advice. I'm a Mom. Can't help it.)
 
Thought you might like to read Nurse Jo's Tips for a Happy Life, posted on 12/18.

http://head-nurse.blogspot.com/
 
I hear you on the anxiety/depression thing, the skin thing, AND the "progeny" (should I? shouldn't I?) thing.

GO YOU! for going to the gym today. And shoot me a note if you want to discuss the above offline...but not to worry if you don't. Be kind to yourself today.

jm @ houseinprogress

(owner (at) houseinprogress dot com)
 
Errr... how disturbing. The following quote could have EASILY be written by me 'acne, eczema, and wrinkles all at the same time?!), lack of quality time with my husband, ongoing struggle with anxiety/depression, and more recently, anxiety over whether I want to have a child or not.'

These are my worries, too!
- my weight (20 extra pounds)
- acne (at 32)?????
- not getting to the gym often enough
- fertility/biological clock and children
- past job as webmaster
- taking night classes for my BScN
- anxiety/depression tendencies

YOU ARE NOT ALONE! and neither am I!
Keep up the good fight!

- future rn, canada
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?