.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sunday, January 09, 2005

 

book number two

Chromosome 6 by Robin Cook

My dad mentioned this book to me as something I might like reading for fluff, so I checked it out of the library. What my dad may not have noticed when he read it is that the writing and editing is REALLY BAD. The concept is interesting: an offshore corporation is creating genetically modified apes that are customized for a particular human client to use for organ donation. This approach (allegedly) would remove the problem of incompatibility and rejection from organ transplant. But oh no! The genetically modified apes can talk and make fire and use tools! Imagine getting bludgeoned over the head with the Prometheus myth about 15 times, and you'll get an idea of how heavy-handed the lesson is. For extra "fun", there's a subplot having to do with how the Mafia runs New York City and how doctors can become eeeeeevil when they start worrying about money.

Overall, I'd say this is like the Dan Brown phenomenon - an interesting idea, a not-terrible plot, but dreadful writing and editing. Maybe I am a literary snob, but poor writing/editing really interfers with my enjoyment of reading!

Labels: ,


Comments:
Okay, it's a cheap shot, but if you're going to post about poor editing you may want to spellcheck first!

"Interfers with my enjoyment?"
 
I've always avoided Robin Cook cause I heard he was a horrible writer.

SO I'm thinking the best way to ensure to meet this 50 books goal is to have an audio book in my car at all times.
That's not cheating is it?


Scott/Scoop/Professor Butki
 
Hey, anonymous, you might notice this is my personal blog, and not a published book that had a salary or an external editor involved!

Scoop-de-loop, I dunno about audio books - I think a book is a book, yes?
 
I read 2 Robin Cook books when I was in the jungle and had limited reading material. They were both the most awful things I have ever ever ever read. Really terrible. Seriously. I almost wish I saved one to point out some of the awful horrible writing that they contained.

So even though the apes with fire plot intrigues me, I will resist the urge to read this book.

Laurie
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?