.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, January 31, 2005

 

book four

The Makioka Sisters
by Junichiro Tanizaki

I read this book based on a recommendation from Gael of Pop Culture Junk Mail. At first I wondered what she saw in it, since it seemed kind of slow and mannered, even prissy. But as I read further, I began to see more nuance and got more involved with the characters' lives. I enjoyed getting a sense of how Japanese women lived in the 1930s - in fact, I was kind of surprised by how "modern" and sophisticated the women in the book seemed for the times. They rode in automobiles, got permanent waves, wore Western-style clothes, studied French, had affairs with men, had friends from Russia and Germany... all of these things surprised me, because I had thought that Japan was pretty much a closed society until after World War II.

I found it especially interesting to compare the attitudes of the characters in this book to the characters in "The Inheritance", as they were on opposite sides of the China/Japan conflict in the 1930s.

The one thing I really disliked about this book was the ending. It's as though the author just forgot to complete the book. The last paragraph is about the digestive troubles [yes, Andy, the word DIARRHEA is used <-- inside joke] the third sister is experiencing as she travels to her wedding. But then what? Does the wedding go forward? Does she die of dysentery? What about the youngest sister - is she going to marry her lover? It's frustrating to be left hanging this way.

Labels:


Comments:
For some reason, I'm currently really into books like this....stories of people coping during turbulent periods in history. I've added both of these books to my "must read" list! Thanks!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?