.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, January 05, 2005

 

50 book challenge

I heard about this LiveJournal meme - basically, read 50 books this year and blog about it. I can do that!

#1: Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke

I was really excited to get this from the library because the holds list was so long, I figured it must be good. I enjoyed it at first, but then it started to drag. And drag. And it's a really long book. Fortunately, I thought it picked up again near the end, and by the time the book was finished, I was fully engaged.

One aspect I liked was the idea that magic is part of the land, and that most people are just too dense to notice it happening. I also liked the incorporation of the ancient idea that fairies are right here with us, just on the other side of an invisible barrier of time and space. And, I was charmed by the concept that magic can be learned through diligent study.

On the other hand, I felt like the characters never really came alive, and that I never really could visualize the characters or the settings very clearly. Maybe I read too fast or was too distracted... or maybe the author just didn't evoke those things as well as she could have.

Labels: ,


Comments:
I'm liking this idea! But when do you possibly have time to read for fun?

I may try it.

I'm currently reading a great book called
Household Gods by Judith Tarr and Harry Turtledove.

Just finished the DaVinci Code.

After this one, I'm going to read Life of Pi by Yann Martel and
The News from Paraguay by Lily Tuck.

I'm also reading Emmet Fox's Golden Keys to Successful Living by Hermann Wolhorn.

None of these books got great reviews on Amazon.com. But I think if you like historical novels you might like Household Gods and the News From Paraguay.

Third Degree Nurse
www.thirddegreenurse.typepad.com
 
I am going to try it to, although I also do not know when I have time to read for fun. I could probably count whole books I read for school though....


Laurie (lauriemk)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?