.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, December 20, 2004

 

weekend soup

I had a very nice weekend. I got a lot of stuff done around the house, including stealing an hour of sunny (!) weather to finish planting my bulbs. Yeah, it's really late. Oh well. I also got some cleaning done inside. One of these days I might get everything put away. A miracle in the making.

I also found an old journal that I wrote in when I was really, really depressed in the first couple of years after I moved to Seattle. I was surprised by two things: 1. I'm still upset about some of the same issues in my life, even though my circumstances have changed so much (namely, my weight and physical intimacy with R*) and 2. I am much more sane now. :) When I first started reading through it, I started to cry, thinking, "Oh my god, it's been all these years and I'm still fretting about the exact same things!" But then I read more and realized how much more confident and rational I feel now, and how much better the communication is between me and R*.

Saturday night we, um, had bread pudding for dinner. This is not a good contribution to our goal of eating better. But man, it was tasty. Last night I took another foray into the Moosewood forest: Algerian Tomato Soup with Vermicelli and Bulgar Grape Salad. I think I messed up the soup a little - I neglected to get celery, so I substituted a diced carrot plus celery salt. Also, I didn't have a chance to serve the soup when it was just finished cooking, and the noodles absorbed more liquid than they should have and the soup was too thick as a result. Still tasted good, though.

Tonight is going to be Oaxacan Potato Soup with Tostada Salad. This soup has diced green olives in - I can't decide if I think it's going to be fantastic or just bizarre. I'll report back tomorrow.

Comments:
I looked at that cookbook and thing I'm going to get it. I have 2 other ones by Molly Katzen; both of my daughters are vegetarian and I've always cooked a lot of veg dishes. She's great!

I was thinking about your journal. The other night I was looking over my life and thinking about New Year's resolutions (how to make lemonade out of lemons because I am not happy with this country's current political leadership and how to function within it.) Anyway, what I learned was that I usually only have 2-3 parts of my life at any given time in which I've achieved what I'd hoped for. Currently, I'm struggling with my weight and feel like every day I live in Kansas life passes me by. However, the good things include a great marriage and good relationships with my kids and being comfortable with my choice to become a nurse.

Now, if 2005 will only open the door for me to get INTO a nursing school. I'm starting to work with a personal trainer this spring and am counting points on Weight Watchers again...life's never 100 percent perfect, but we DO move forward.

You sound like you've come a long way already and there is so much more to come for you!

Third Degree Nurse
Denise
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?