.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, October 04, 2004

 

there goes the bride

This was a nice weekend, although I wish I could have spent more of it outside.

Friday I worked from home, which rules. I spent half the day in my jammies. And working is so much more fun when there's a purring cat asleep in a sunbeam next to you. R* came home and we took a nap, then ordered pizza for dinner. Lazy lump, that's me.

Saturday we got up around 8:30. I went out to get lattes and pastries for breakfast. R* rehearsed for his classical guitar lesson while I studied for my anatomy class. (Gripe to come on that subject.) When left for his lesson, I changed and went out and mowed and trimmed the lawn. I felt bad that I didn't have time to more garden work - it was such a beautiful day, and I have so much left to do before winter sets in. It will involve compost and mulch and sowing of seeds and planting of bulbs... in my copious free time, right? Right.

After R* got back from his lesson, I showered and we went to Ballard to drop off some posters at a venue that his band is playing soon. Then we went to a place called Matador for lunch - they have barbecue and quasi-Mexican food. It was quite tasty, even though R* ended up with a bbq pork sammich instead of bbq chicken. Pigs taste good, too. After lunch, we headed to Discovery Park and walked about 2 1/2 miles. It wasn't exactly a hike, since it was in a park in the city, but it wasn't exactly an urban city walk either. The views of the sound were stupendous.

On Sunday, R* had a rehearsal at the house, then we got all gussied up and went to our friend Em's wedding in Woodinville. I'm not crazy about her fiance, er, husband - but you know, I'm not the one marrying him! And he's obviously crazy about her, and is kind. Em looked beautiful and happy. The ceremony was lovely - they'd found an officiant who was willing to put in a line about how they hoped everyone would be free to marry in the future. I feel certain that most of the guests missed the point (gay marriage? what?) but I'm proud of Em and L* for sticking it in there anyway.

In other news, I hate weddings. I hadn't been to one in so long, I'd kind of forgotten. I like the ceremony, and I like congratulating the participants, but then I want to go home. R* and I left earlier than we probably should have... but we didn't know anyone there besides Em and L* and we just couldn't face staying for a buffet and making small talk with strangers. I hope that doesn't mean I am a bad friend - I genuinely love Em and am happy for her.

R* and I went downtown and had dinner at Brasa in Belltown. Fantastically good! I hadn't been there in several years. Our eyes were bigger than our stomachs, though, and after a cheese plate and a shared duck confit appetizers, we barely touched our entrees. I already have plans for converting the chicken entree with chanterelle bread pudding into shredded chicken salad with chanterelle croutons and lemon/olive oil dressing.

After dinner, we went over to Jazz Alley and met one of R*'s bandmates and his wife. The John Scofield Trio performed - we caught the end of the first set and all of the second. Very good show! I shocked R* by recognizing a tune he didn't know - it was Alexander's Ragtime Band. I can remember my mom singing it, and I'm pretty sure my grandma sang it, and I even think I might have heard my great-grandma sing it.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?