.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

 

class report

I started this blog with the intention of keeping track of my thoughts and progress regarding the nursing program I'm pursuing, but I realized that I've barely written about it.

I got a 4.0 in the nutrition class I took last spring, and a 4.0 in the Lifespan Development class I took summer quarter. I went to visit my professor from Lifespan last week - he told me I got the highest grade in the class, and was the only person who got 100% on the final project. That was a boost to my ego.

This quarter I'm taking Human Anatomy and it is HARD. I am studying at least as much as I did for any undergrad class I took way back when. I have rediscovered my deep affection for flashcards, though, so things are looking up. On my first lecture quiz I got 18/20. The first lab practical exam was extremely difficult - I was genuinely afraid that I could have failed it. But, I found out last night that I got 40/50, which while not up to my usual standard, is far from failing. I also gave a presentation with my lab partner last night and got 20/20. And finally, we took a quiz after the presentations and I feel like I did well on it. If I can keep up my unnatural love of the flashcards, I ought to do well in this class.

I'm paranoid about what happens next, though. I'm pretty sure I can be a good enough candidate to get accepted to the nursing program for next fall... although that's not a given. Also, I've heard gossip that an RN is unhireable or at the minimum unpromotable without a BSN. I have a BA already which is why I'm pursuing the 2-year ASN degree as the quickest path to RN-hood. But egad, if it just means I'll have to go back to school for another year to finish my BSN, have I made a horrible mistake? If I spend a total of 4 years going to school - 1 for prereqs, 2 for the ASN program, and 1 for the BSN - should I have just gone in for the BSN in the first place?!

I guess I'll just proceed with the plan and see what happens. I presume that I could tack on the 3rd year at any point after finishing the program.

Comments:
Keep up the good work. I'm sure you'll find a nursing program that will be excited to get you into their program.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?