.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, August 04, 2004

 

whirlwind weekend

We picked K* up at the airport on Friday, after receiving a phone call at 2:00 am from Narita airport to let us know that her plane was being delayed several hours. I had trouble going back to sleep after that - all my internal alarms went off when the phone rang in the dark of night - but at least we got to sleep in instead of driving to the airport at 7:00 am.

Friday night we went to Chandler's Crabhouse and dined extravagantly. I don't think K* has ever been to a fancy American restaurant before - she asked me to help her with the menu, so I picked out the sea bass with a berry salsa and rice. She ate it enthusiastically. I had crab cakes and R* had halibut cheeks. We also had a GIANT piece of banana cream pie for dessert, which wasn't exactly what I expected. It had caramel sauce and a cookie-crumb crust... I was hoping for real pie crust and a pudding texture. Oh well, it's not like I should be eating any of that stuff anyway!

Saturday morning we went to Salty's on Alki for brunch. K* had definitely never seen anything like that before. And bless her heart, she made about 5 trips through the buffet. What cracked me up was that partway through the meal, she put down her fork and said, "I am SO SORRY that we made you run through Chinatown your first day in Bangkok! You were so tired! So sorry!" R* and I laughed and laughed. That trip to Chinatown was amazingly exhausting after our long trip and severe jet lag... but we got through it.

Saturday afternoon, I took K* to the locks in Ballard. We watched boats go back and forth between the lake and the bay, and watched the salmon running in the fish ladder. The fish ladder is really neat! You can either watch from above and see a fish leap out of the water every so often, or go down beneath the water level to a viewing area with big windows where the fish mill around waiting to take a turn jumping to the next step. Then we went to the Central Market in Shoreline so she could stock up on Asian groceries. That was fun! I didn't buy much, but I felt like I was getting a guided tour to the weird Asian food that I'm often too intimidated to buy. It's too bad we're on the salad plan - I would love to make stirfries and noodles and curries.

Sunday we drove K* to Pullman and stayed the night at my parents' house. We went out for a surprisingly good dinner at a Latin-fusion place in Moscow, ID. The next morning, we helped my mom and K* take stuff over to K*'s apartment, had some breakfast, bought a couple of handmade stepping stones for our garden, and hit the road. The drive home was completely uneventful except for the HOUR AND A HALF it took to go 3 miles on I-90 outside of Issaquah. They'd closed down two lanes of the three-lane highway for road work. Great timing, huh? I learned later on the new that the unusual heat we've been experiencing exploded some expansion joints in the pavement and it required emergency construction.

Test score from test #2 in my psych class: 95%. If I can pull it out one more time, I'll get a 4.0 in this class!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?